We use our AOL email for different purposes, like sharing e-tickets for our next flight or shopping online; nowadays, everything is running on the Internet, and everyone is asking for emails. People normally prefer AOL email because of its advanced features. However, at times you get issues with your AOL Emails because of email hacking. It is a serious issue, and you may face financial loss also, as everything, including our bank details, is connected to emails. So if you notice any unauthorized access to your email account, you should call the AOL helpline number and speak to an expert to see what can be done.
You can also go through this blog to learn how to recover your Hacked AOL email account, so let’s start.
How To Check If Your AOL Account Is Hacked?
There are several changes or signs you can look out for to check if your AOL email account is hacked. Here’s the list of things you need to check:
- You suddenly stop receiving any emails.
- Your AOL Mail is sending spam to your contacts.
- It shows you are offline even when you’re signed into AOL.
- You get login notifications from unexpected locations.
- The account info or mail settings were changed abruptly.
- AOL Mail inbox is full of MAILER-DAEMON notices.
- You are getting responses for messages you didn’t send.
- The display name is changed.
- It shows an email signature that is not added by you.
- You can’t access your Address Book.
- An appearance of Unknown contact in your Address Book.
- Deleted emails from the Draft, Send or receive section.
If you see any of these signs on your recent activity page, then it is possible that your AOL Mail account was hacked.
Also Read: Reactivate AOL Account
Steps to Recognize that your AOL account was hacked
If someone else has access to your AOL account, they can easily enter it without your permission. As a result, they may take advantage of your email ID at its convenience. Unfortunately, it may hamper your sensitive information and can lead to a huge loss.
Here, we have described some pointers that will guide you on how to notify that your AOL account was hacked.
- If the people claimed they had received your email even though you haven’t sent it.
- There might be certain instances when you get multiple MAILER-DAEMON rejection notices for unknown messages.
- In other instances, it may occur when the user cannot get the Address Book Contacts.
- It might be possible that your Sent, Inbox, Deleted, or Spam folders have been removed from your email account.
- Sometimes, it may occur when you get strange messages in your Sent or Drafts folder.
- If you keep switching to the offline zone even though you are already logged into the AOL account.
- Moreover, you may notice that your AOL account was hacked when you are prompted that you aren’t a robot while receiving the CAPTCHA.
- You might see unknown contacts within your Address Book.
- If the emails you have sent to your clients, vendors, etc., aren’t acceptable, return them to you.
- Your Display Name might be modified by someone else.
- There might be the possibility that you haven’t added the email signature link.
- At times, the users learned that their AOL Account had been hacked when you no longer received emails.
Here’s how to proceed if my AOL Account has been hacked
AOL is known to be one of the widely used email services as it offers top-notch features for enhancing your emailing experience. But at times, users might end up with an AOL Account has been hacked when the user has forgotten or lost their password. As a result, they won’t be able to carry on with their ongoing tasks. Therefore, to eliminate the issue, you must go through the steps listed below.
Step 1: Change Your AOL Account Password
If you can access your AOL account, you must change your AOL account password.
- For this, login to your AOL account, go to the sign-in webpage, and then change the password.
- As a result, AOL will prompt you with the Security question you provided while signing up.
- Then, you must click on Forgot Answer, which will eventually send an email to your alternative email address.
- From there, access the General Account Information Page and hit the Change Your Password.
- You must be very attentive while setting up the password. Ensure that you have created a unique and strong password for your Account.
Step 2: Examine Your Personal Details Thoroughly
Hackers will not take much time to gain control of your Account by inserting their contact details. Therefore, you must verify your account details: Name, Email address, and Account Recovery Information. If you notice that any of this information has been changed, it reflects that someone has hacked your Account.
Step 3: Enhance Your Security
Two-factor authentication is an ultra layer of security that protects your Account from hackers. However, access will be denied if they still gain access to your username and password without the Verification Code. For the Two-factor authentication, you must insert the verification code sent to your mobile device while signing in.
Step 4: Get Proper Security of Other Accounts
Most of the time, users prefer to keep the same password for all their online accounts as it is easy to remember it. This is the sole reason for having one key for all locked doors. Once someone has hacked the password of one Account, they can easily crack the password of others. Therefore, changing the password quickly and creating different passwords for all the other accounts is better.
Step 5: Remove Viruses Your Computer System
Nowadays, viruses are easily installed by hackers into your system, and they are easily installed using unsuspecting surfers and these bugs allow the hackers to easily access your device. However, if you discover anything suspicious entering your device, use the antivirus to resolve the issue.
Step 6: Get the Assistance If you Can’t Enter into your Account
If you noticed that you locked out of your AOL account, it indicates that your Account has been hacked. In that scenario, you must get back to your Account by changing the password.
- Visit the Sign-In webpage of AOL and click Forgot Password on the screen.
- Then, you will have to insert the login username, and eventually, you will receive the link for resetting the password.
- However, if you face difficulty signing into your Gmail account, you must consult AOL support instantly.
Step 7: Clear Your Inbox
Storing sensitive information within your email account is giving an invitation to hackers. Unfortunately, so many users do the same, which might open the doors for hackers. Therefore, it is necessary to remove the personal information from your Account to avoid any unauthorized access to your data.
Additional things to do if your AOL Email Account is Hacked?
To save your AOL email from being hacked again, verify these crucial points as well:
- Review that your display name doesn’t contain ‘AOL’ or ‘aol.’
- Make sure you have your antivirus software installed and updated. Also, run the security scan on a regular basis to keep an eye on your System.
- Check your AOL mail signature, and verify that the hacker has not added spam.
- Go through all the messages sent by your Account and find if there are any inappropriate messages sent or received.
Note: If you find any kind of difficulties while getting back access to your AOL Account, Contact the AOL Email Experts. Whether you have trouble changing your Password or any other setting, they will help you with everything.
Also Read: AOL Mail Attachment Problems
Things to do If you start Receiving Spam Emails from your own Emails Address?
At times, you start receiving Spam emails from your own email address because of Spoofing. Spoofing is a way to send spam emails by hiding the identity of the sender. It is used by Hackers.
You can follow the below-mentioned steps to fix the issue:
- Report the mail instantly.
- Create a new safe and strong password.
- Do a Complete scan of your System to eliminate the malware.
- Remove your email address from the Address Book.
Further, you can contact the team of AOL and ask them for Help.
Steps to Change your AOL Password
It is always advised to change your AOL Reset Password the instant you realize that your AOL email is hacked.
Note: To ignore this kind of problem in the future, enable two-factor Authentication on your AOL email.
To do so:
- Go to the AOL Email login window.
- There, you have to enter your login credential.
- If you are not able to log in to your AOL account then, Go to the Forgot Password option.
- Then provide your AOL Email Account.
- After that, You have to decide a password recovery method and fill that in the required box.
- Now, you will get a code from the AOL side, enter that into the given field, and confirm your identity.
Finally, you will get a success notification; now you are the AOL account holder; change your Password, and then proceed.
How to Make a Strong Password
To create an easy-to-remember but hard-to-hack AOL Email password, keep these points as a note in your mind:
- Use both the Upper and Lowercase Alphabets
- Don’t opt for any names as your Password.
- Use some numbers
- And also, add some special characters like @,#, and %.
Also Read: AOL Emails Disappeared
With this, we hope that the solutions mentioned in this post will help you regain your hacked AOL account. However, if you face any issues, you can contact AOL Email experts anytime. There are various ways to contact, but the best way to get in touch with an AOL email expert is through email. So pick your Phone and email all your Queries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQ’s)
Ques 1: My AOL email account was hacked 5 weeks ago. How can I recover it?
Ans: The steps to recover a hacked account is mentioned below:
- Launch your Web Browser
- Now, Search for AOL.com.
- Now, Go to the sign-in page.
- Here, you have to enter the Username and hit the Next Button.
- Now, on the Next page, hit on the Forget Password option.
- Now, follow the information available on your screen to change the password.
- Then, you have to choose a security method.
- Then, you will get a reset code on your mobile number or the alternate email that you have provided.
- Enter that, then go for the Change password option.
- Now, you have to write a new password.
Tip: Use a strong password.
Ques 2: How to Change AOL Account Password?
Ans: To change AOL Email Account Password:
- Open AOL.com
- Then go to the login page.
- Now, you have to Provide your Login Credentials (i.e., Your AOL Email & Password).
- Then go to the Account Setting option available in the left menu.
- Hit the Change Password option.
- Provide the new password.
Tip: It must be strong.
- Enter it again to re-confirm, and click on the Show password option to check it.
- Now, you have to click on Continue to finish the process.
Ques 3: My AOL email account has apparently been deactivated on its own; what to do now?
Ans: There can be various reasons behind your AOL account being deactivated, which are mentioned below:
- You have not signed in to your AOL email account in the last 12 months.
- Your account is hacked.
- You requested your AOL email account be deleted.
- Your AOL email Account is violating the Terms of Services of AOL.
So, check for these issues and contact the AOL Email Team, for further help.
Ques 4: Why am I unable to receive an AOL email?
Ans: The first and foremost important thing you need to do if you are unable to receive AOL email is, check the Internet Speed because most of the users face this issue because of this particular reason only. Apart from this, there can be some technical issues as well, so contact an AOL email expert for a better solution.